Saturday

Thurs 11 Sept 2008 - My first post

So how did I get here?

Ever wake up several mornings in a row and just feel there has to be more to life? That's where it started. I thought a different job might help, but at the beginning of the day, you're still getting up and packing yourself into a tube to arrive at an office.

I knew about VSO from a friend, so just before Easter I talked to Jared about it and we went onto the website, www.vso.org.uk. The first indication of 'destiny' was seeing the 50th anniversary celebrations were taking place in the Festival Hall in two days' time (15 March). I quickly registered for a ticket and had a fantastic and inspirational day amongst VSOs old and new.
This school girl from Namibia worked with the headteacher from Oxford to her right to re-instill the excitement of learning to her teachers. Her ambition was to be Minister of Education in Namibia. Her proposal: teachers would become qualified not when they passed exams but when the classes they taught passed their exams.

 
 
Computers were available in break-out rooms in the Festival Hall so I started my application there and then.
Jared and I were invited to an Assessment Day on 29 April with five other prospective volunteers and their partners. Since Jared won't be joining me we were put through particularly rigorous interviews as the difficulty of separating partners is one of the main reasons for early returning volunteers. However Jared and I had discussed this in detail and we got through the interrogation!

Then come the opportunities from the Placement Advisors: your CV will be matched against the opportunities from across the world and when suitable ones arise these are forwarded to the volunteer for their consideration and application. Here comes the second 'destiny' sign.

The first opportunity that came through was for the Fantsuam Organisation in Kaduna State, Nigeria..where the Brown family lived for three years in the early 80s. Of all the places in the whole wide world! It had been my experience in Nigeria that made me keen to return to Africa and the organisation looked fantastic so I submitted my application straight away. Success! The flights are booked for 18 October 2008...
Next stage is the 'Preparing to Volunteer Course' at VSO's training centre, Harborne Hall in Birmingham. This was another inspirational experience with three fantastic trainers (Anneliese, Nicky and Serena) and a great group.

We did happen to spend most of the only sunny weekend of 2008 studying however no-one minded. Learning about the IMF and structural adjustment programmes, 'all you ever wanted to know about HIV but were afraid to ask' and how you will fit in as a volunteer packed the weekend interspersed by building of strong new friendships and the occasional glass of wine.


Making the break from work wasn't too difficult as a restructuring programme was being undertaken and, as part of that, I was able to finish on 29 August with 6 weeks to prepare for Nigeria.


However before all that there was helping with my sister's wedding on 6 September which put my first 'leisure week' very much on hold. However it was all worth it as, despite the constant downpours, it was a beautiful day that will stay in the minds of many of the guests for a long time to come.







This week it's the jabs (seven in all - Monday and Friday), the blog (voila!) and seeing my great friend Yvonne who's passing through London on her way back to Panama this afternoon. Next step - fundraising... Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment